This Vegan Banana Pumpkin Bread is fluffy, moist, and packed with pumpkin pie spices. This easy recipe is naturally sweetened with dates and maple syrup, perfect for a delicious fall breakfast, snack, or healthy dessert.
This post has been updated from the original, published October 4, 2016.
I love all things pumpkin…I even have a great recipe for pumpkin pie spice substitute so you can make all the delicious pumpkin recipes with out having to run to the store!
I have perfected the vegan pumpkin loaf so it’s the tastiest recipe out there…AND made it a dump everything into the blender kinda thing. Yes, this EASY pumpkin banana bread recipe is here to win your heart over in every category.
OMG….you’re going to love this cozy fall recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Bread with chocolate chips and pecans. It’s soft and chewy…the perfect texture…and loaded with pumpkin pie spices….you know, tastes incredible….hard to believe it’s healthy, with no oil and no sugar either.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- ROLLED OATS: A whole grain with soluble fiber. They help with blood sugar control and also with helping you to feel full and satisfied. Plus, they add great texture to this pumpkin loaf. I use sprouted oats for an easy to digest source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. I like to use Thrive Market Organic Oats or One Degree Organic Sprouted Oats. Whatever brand you use, be sure they are non-GMO and glyphosate free.
- WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR: Any whole grain flour is a good choice. I have also used gluten-free all purpose flour with great results.
- BANANA: The added potassium and fiber make this a good choice for natural sweetness.
- PUMPKIN PUREE: Not pumpkin pie filling. Look for a brand that has just one ingredient: pumpkin.
- APPLESAUCE: Excellent choice in oil free and vegan baking. Look for a brand with no added sugar or make it yourself with just apples in this easy applesauce recipe.
- MAPLE SYRUP: Just 1/4 cup is all that’s needed.
- MEDJOOL DATES: Buy them with the pits still in for the best quality and freshest dates.
- BAKING POWDER AND SODA: Important to help this vegan loaf rise.
- PUMPKIN PIE SPICE: Bold, warm and flavorful for a delicious pumpkin loaf.
- PECANS: For nut allergies, just skip the nuts. You could also use pumpkin seeds. Other good choices for nuts would be walnuts or hazelnuts.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS: I used dark chocolate chips from Thrive market. You could also chop a bar of high quality dark chocolate.
Why this pumpkin loaf is better than the rest:
- Just the right amount of cozy fall spices.
- So easy to make. Blend in under 5 minutes and then bake.
- No refined sugar added…naturally sweetened with dates, applesauce and banana.
- Perfect texture…so satisfying.
- Applesauce pumpkin bread is soft and moist without any added oils.
- Pumpkin bread made from scratch will fill your home with cozy fall vibes.
How to make this pumpkin loaf:
- Place pumpkin puree, banana, applesauce, dates and maple syrup into a food processor or blender.
- Blend until dates are fully incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients: oats, flour, and spices. Process until just blended. Do not over mix.
- If using chocolate chips and nuts, stir them in by hand.
Pour batter into loaf pan lined with unbleached parchment. Sprinkle with additional nuts and chocolate. Bake for 45 minutes.
Cool in loaf pan. Carefully remove from pan by pulling on both sides of the parchment paper at once. Discard parchment paper and slice. For moist storage, cut into slices as needed. Pumpkin bread will stay good at room temperature for 5 days, in the fridge for a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- Do not overmix when adding the dry ingredients.
- A thick strip of parchment is all that’s needed to help lift the loaf out of the pan without needing any oil.
- A shmear of almond butter on top makes a great breakfast with a cup of tea.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate by hand.
- The chocolate will be gooey…if you don’t wait for the pumpkin loaf to cool completely, be careful not to burn yourself when slicing.
Vegan Pumpkin Loaf: FAQs
No. Use pumpkin puree to make this easy pumpkin bread. Look for a brand that contains just one ingredient: pumpkin.
Yes, this batter makes terrific muffins. Line muffin tins with unbleached liners and bake for 17 minutes.
More healthy fall recipes:
- Vegan Flatbread
- Apple Muffins
- Minestrone Soup
- Apple Galette (vegan & gluten-free
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- Baked Apples
- Grain-free Pumpkin Muffins
Vegan Banana Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare loaf pan by lining with unbleached parchment paper
- To the bowl of a food processor or pitcher of a blender, add pumpkin, banana, apple sauce, maple syrup and dates. Blend until dates have been fully incorporated.
- Put remaining ingredients (except for chocolate and nuts): flour, oats, baking soda and powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt into blender or processor and blend until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate chips by hand. Save a few of each to decorate the top of the loaf.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden on top and toothpick comes back dry when inserted.
- Let cool completely, then remove from pan by pulling up on the parchment paper. Slice and serve.
- Pumpkin bread will last at room temp for 5 days, a week in the fridge or this loaf can be stored in the freezer (preferably uncut) for up to 3 months.