Vegan pumpkin bread is fluffy, moist, and packed with pumpkin pie spices. With no refined sugar, this is perfect for a delicious fall breakfast, snack, or healthy dessert.
This post has been updated from the original, published October 4, 2016. This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, as no additional cost to you.
Fall has arrived, and it’s time for all things pumpkin…I have perfected the vegan pumpkin loaf so it’s the tastiest recipe out there…AND made it a dump everything into the blender kinda thing. Yes, this EASY pumpkin bread recipe is here to win your heart over in every category.
OMG….you’re going to love this cozy fall recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Bread. with chocolate chips and pecans. It’s soft and chewy…the perfect texture…and loaded with pumpkin pie spices….you know, tastes incredible….hard to believe it’s healthy, with no oil and no sugar either.
This is exactly the comfort food you’re craving RIGHT NOW! Quick, check your pantry…I bet you have all the ingredients to make this.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- ROLLED OATS: A whole grain with soluble fiber. They help with blood sugar control and also with helping you to feel full and satisfied. Plus, they add great texture to this pumpkin loaf. I use sprouted oats for an easy to digest source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. I like to use Thrive Market Organic Oats or One Degree Organic Sprouted Oats. Whatever brand you use, be sure they are non-GMO and glyphosate free.
- WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR: Any whole grain flour is a good choice. I have also used gluten-free all purpose flour with great results.
- BANANA: The added potassium and fiber make this a good choice for natural sweetness.
- PUMPKIN PUREE: Not pumpkin pie filling. Look for a brand that has just one ingredient: pumpkin.
- APPLESAUCE: Excellent choice in oil free and vegan baking. Look for a brand with no added sugar or make it yourself with just apples in this easy applesauce recipe.
- MAPLE SYRUP: Just 1/4 cup is all that’s needed.
- MEDJOOL DATES: Buy them with the pits still in for the best quality and freshest dates.
- BAKING POWDER AND SODA: Important to help this vegan loaf rise.
- SPICES: cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, sea salt. Typical pumpkin pie spices make this pumpkin loaf tasty.
- PECANS: For nut allergies, just skip the nuts. You could also use pumpkin seeds. Other good choices for nuts would be walnuts or hazelnuts.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS: I used dark chocolate chips from Thrive market. You could also chop a bar of high quality dark chocolate. This pumpkin bread is also good without the chocolate chips.
Why this pumpkin loaf is better than the rest:
- Tastes incredible…and loaded with cozy pumpkin spices.
- So easy to make. Blend in under 5 minutes and then bake.
- No sugar added…naturally sweetened with dates, applesauce and banana.
- Perfect texture…so satisfying.
- Applesauce pumpkin bread is soft and moist without any added oils.
- Made with REAL wholesome ingredients you are familiar with.
- Pumpkin bread made from scratch will fill your home with cozy fall vibes.
How to make this pumpkin loaf:
- Place pumpkin puree, banana, applesauce, dates and maple syrup into a food processor or blender.
- Blend until dates are fully incorporated.
- Add oats, flour, and spices. Process until just blended. Do not overmix.
- If using chocolate chips and nuts, stir them in by hand.
Pour batter into loaf pan lined with unbleached parchment. Sprinkle with additional nuts and chocolate. Bake for 45 minutes.
Cool in loaf pan. Carefully remove from pan. Discard parchment paper and slice. For moist storage, cut into slices as needed. Pumpkin bread will stay good at room temperature for 5 days, in the fridge for a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- Do not overmix when adding the dry ingredients.
- A thick strip of parchment is all that’s needed to help lift the loaf out of the pan without needing any oil.
- A shmear of almond butter on top makes a great breakfast with a cup of tea.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate by hand.
- Measure the spices in heaping spoonfuls…
- The chocolate will be gooey…if you don’t wait for the pumpkin loaf to cool completely, be careful not to burn yourself when slicing.
Vegan Pumpkin Loaf: FAQs
No. Use pumpkin puree to make this easy pumpkin bread. Look for a brand that contains just one ingredient: pumpkin.
Yes, this batter makes terrific muffins. Line muffin tins with unbleached liners and bake for 17 minutes.
More healthy fall recipes:
- Vegan Flatbread
- Apple Muffins
- Vegan Ginger Cookie Recipe
- Minestrone Soup
- Apple Galette (vegan & gluten-free
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- Baked Apples
- Grain-free Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree*
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 dates, pitted*
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare loaf pan by lining with unbleached parchment paper.
- To the bowl of a food processor or pitcher of a blender, add pumpkin, banana, apple sauce, maple syrup and dates. Blend until dates have been fully incorporated.
- Put remaining ingredients (except for chocolate and nuts): flour, oats, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt into blender or processor and blend until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate chips by hand. Save a few of each to decorate the top of the loaf.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden on top and toothpick comes back dry when inserted.
- Let cool completely, then remove from pan and slice.
- Pumpkin bread will last at room temp for 5 days, a week in the fridge or this loaf can be stored in the freezer (preferably uncut) for up to 3 months.
*The extra pumpkin puree from that can you opened can be stored in a glass container in the fridge for up to a week. It is an awesome addition to smoothies, oatmeal or baked goods that call for mashed banana.
* DATES: For the best quality, fresh moist dates, buy with the pits still in. Remove before using. If your dates are dry, soak in hot water for 10 minutes and then drain before using in this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
U-Taste Silicone Spatula Set with 600 Degrees Fahrenheit Heat Resistant (Teal/Aqua Sky)
IF YOU CARE FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft
Vitamix A2300 Ascent Series Smart Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Low-Profile Container, Black
Breville BFP660SIL Sous Chef 12 Cup Food Processor, Silver
Good Cook 9 Inch Ceramic Loaf Dish, Red
Amount Per Serving Calories 143Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 173mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 4gSugar 11gProtein 3g
The nutrition calculations were done using online tools. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients you used. You are ultimately responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information is accurate, complete and useful.