A no salt taco seasoning recipe is just what you need for all the great tasting mexican recipes. It’s hard to find tasty low sodium taco seasoning mixes but so easy to make your own homemade spice blend. DIY taco seasoning lets you control the ingredients..and the end result is great flavor with less sodium. Plus it’s easy to make a big batch and so much less expensive than buying packets of taco seasoning.
It’s no secret I adore mexican food and having a spice jar filled with this easy taco mix makes a great addition to my pantry. I can easily add a few tablespoons of no salt seasoning to my sheet pan veggie fajitas, oven roasted mexican cauli-rice, black bean veggie burgers or any of my favorite taco recipes.
If you love tacos, like we do, you’ll want to make your own taco seasoning. This homemade taco seasoning recipe uses common spices you already have in your pantry, or are easy to find at your local grocery store. Store this delicious vegan and gluten-free taco seasoning in an airtight jar in your pantry for up to 6 months to make Taco Tuesday easier than ever!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Save money: this DIY taco seasoning is so much less expensive than the taco seasoning packets. Plus, you likely already have all the ingredients in your spice cabinet.
- Buy the simple ingredients from Thrive Market and save even more.
- Save time: Easy to make in just 5 minutes.
- Put health on the list: No salt makes this the perfect tasty addition to your mexican recipes if you’re on a low-sodium diet.
- Read the ingredient list and nutrition information and ingredient list on the taco seasoning packets…that’s it. You’ll instantly be sold on making homemade no salt or low sodium taco seasoning.
- Delish: No salt taco seasoning is the perfect, tasty addition to your spice cabinet, even when you’re watching your sodium intake. You can always add a bit of salt to a finished recipe, but you can’t take it out once it’s there.
Ingredients and substitutions
You can find the main ingredients of this easy taco seasoning recipe in your spice cabinet. I use so much cumin and chili powder, that I stock up when I place my thrive market orders. If you’re on a low sodium diet, you’ll be surprised how much flavor this no salt seasoning adds to your recipes.
- Chili powder: The main ingredient helps with digestion, is anti-inflammatory and helps build immunity. Regular chili powder adds tons of flavor without much heat. Use a bit of chipotle chili powder or ancho chili powder mixed in with the regular for a spicy taco seasoning.
- Cumin: Loaded with flavonoids that work as antioxidants. Regular or toasted ground cumin will add a rich, earthy warm flavor to this spice blend.
- Paprika: I used regular paprika, but smoky paprika would also work well. Be careful with spicy paprika though. For extra heat add just a pinch of spicy paprika to this mexican spice blend.
- Oregano: If you can find mexican oregano it offers a bit of a citrusy flavor, but it’s stronger so use just half the amount called for in the recipe card.
- Onion powder: Onion powder, or onion flakes, not onion salt.
- Garlic powder: Garlic granules or garlic powder, but not garlic salt.
- Black Pepper: If you’re looking for more heat, also add a dash of cayenne pepper, adobo seasoning, chipotle chili powder, red pepper flakes or spicy paprika. Otherwise stick to black pepper or white pepper to add some flavor without creating a spicy taco seasoning mix.
How to make your own taco seasoning
- Place all ingredients in a small mason jar and mix well with a spoon or cover and shake well until ingredients are well distributed. You can find spice jars with lids that will fit easily in your spice cabinet.
- That’s it! You can double or even triple the recipe to always have some available for your favorite mexican recipes. This no salt seasoning will stay good in a cool dry place for 6 months.
How to use taco seasoning
- Make Vegan Taco Meat: Add 2 tablespoons taco seasoning to my vegan ground beef recipe and use in all your favorite Mexican recipes.
- Add 1 Tablespoon low sodium taco seasoning to each ½ cup vegan sour cream for a delicious dip or spread.
- For tasty fajita style roasted veggies: Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with no salt seasoning, mix well and roast on 425 for 15-25 minutes, depending on size and type of vegetables.
- Sprinkle some into the pot when cooking dried beans.
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons into your black bean burger mixture before making patties.
More Healthy Mexican Recipes:
Most taco seasoning contains ground spices like chili pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and oregano . They often also contain MSG, maltodextrin, corn starch, wheat flour, natural flavors, malic acid, sugar, salt and often heavily processed vegetable oils.
This is why I prefer to make my own taco seasoning so I can control the ingredients and the sodium content.
It’s easy to make homemade taco seasoning with chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. This recipe is for a no salt taco seasoning and is perfect for those on a low salt diet.
There are about 2 Tablespoons in one taco seasoning packet. This recipe makes about ½ cup taco seasoning, which is the equivalent of 4 packets.
Definitely! If you’re looking for low sodium seasoning alternatives this is a great choice. The combination of dried spices and herbs is super flavorful without the addition of any sodium.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
No Salt Taco Seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a jar.