This Gluten-free Apple Galette is the perfect fall dessert! An easy apple galette is similar to apple pie….but BETTER. A delicious apple filling gives you all that classic apple pie flavor….without the top crust and the finesse that goes along with it. Same great taste with half the work? Sign me up…STAT.
This post has been updated from the original posted September 2, 2021.
- Why you will love this Apple Galette
- Ingredients for Gluten-free Galette Crust
- Ingredients for the Apple Galette Filling
- What are the best apples for a galette?
- How to make Gluten Free Galette Crust
- The easiest way to core and slice an apple
- Make the apple filling
- Roll out the Dough
- How to Assemble and Bake
- Apple Galette FAQs
- More Healthy Fall Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
Meet autumns sliced apple beauty contest winner….this apple galette recipe is filled with juicy cinnamon apples with cozy spices and just the right amount of sweetness, folded into a gluten-free free formed galette crust, kinda like a rustic pie. It’s beautiful and tasty and the best way to enjoy fresh apples.
Why you will love this Apple Galette
- Meal Prep: Super easy galette crust recipe can be made in advance. Keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze for 3 months.
- A rustic apple galette is less work than a double crust pie….and still loaded with apple pie filling.
- Apple Pie Spices fill your home with a delicious and cozy aroma.
- Make it a vegan galette by using flax egg and swapping the honey for a little maple syrup.
- It’s grain-free and paleo compliant.
- Gluten free pie crust is perfectly sweetened with just a bit of honey.
- Enjoy apple pie season with this gorgeous and easy recipe.
Ingredients for Gluten-free Galette Crust
- Almond Flour: Look for finely ground and blanched almond flour for best results. Gluten-free flour will also work in this recipe. Use all purpose flour…though it does have a lower moisture content so you will need a bit less than the almond flour.
- Arrowroot Powder: A healthier alternative to cornstarch. Arrowroot starch is easier to digest, comes from a plant and contains fiber, potassium, iron and some B vitamins. It’s also flavorless, naturally gluten-free and vegan and easy to find in most super markets. Make sure to read the label when you buy arrowroot powder to be sure the ingredient list contains arrowroot starch and nothing else. You could substitute cassava flour or tapioca starch if needed.
- Honey: I love the pairing of apples and honey, but if you’re vegan you can substitute maple syrup.
- Olive Oil: I prefer not to use vegetable oils that have been highly processed and are highly. inflammatory, so if you need a sub for olive oil, try coconut oil or avocado oil as they are less refined than products like vegan butter.
- Egg: Replace with a flax egg to make a vegan pie crust. The dough will be a bit harder to work with, but you can definitely do it.
Ingredients for the Apple Galette Filling
- Apples: A variety of sweet or tart apples that are firm will give you a well rounded, great tasting galette. See my note below to help decide which fresh apples to use for your galette filling.
- Lemon juice
- Honey: substitute maple syrup if you’d like the filling to be vegan. It is sweet enough without the need to add brown sugar.
- Apple Pie Spices: cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, salt.
What are the best apples for a galette?
- Look for firm apples without bruises or indentation. Wrinkly skins indicate apples past their prime.
- Apple variety is the key to great taste with subtle nuances.
- Firm apples will hold their shape through the cooking process without getting mushy. A combination baking apples and firm apples are great for a pie, but a galette will look best with firmer apples.
- Sweet apples: gala, fuji, Braeburn and honeycrisp apples are best for sweet apple desserts.
- Tart apples that will work well in this recipe include pink lady, janagold and granny smith apples.
- Keep in mind that green apples tend to be more tart than sweet and have less calories and carbs than red apples.
- Also, ask at the orchard if you’re going apple picking. They may have other varieties that will be perfect for your apple galette.
How to make Gluten Free Galette Crust
First you’ll make the crust because it needs to chill for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight. It will be easier to work with when it’s cold. The crust is simple to make with wholesome ingredients.
Crust Step 1: Gather almond flour, arrowroot powder, egg, honey, salt and olive oil into the bowl of a food processor.
Crust Step 2: Process gluten-free crust until everything is well mixed and a bit crumbly. It will stick together when pressed between fingers.
Crust Step 3: Roll into a ball and wrap well in plastic wrap. Chill dough in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
The easiest way to core and slice an apple
Cut each apple in half. Use a melon baller or a spoon to scoop out the core.
Place apple half cut side down on a cutting board and then thinly slice. Continue until all apples are cored and sliced.
Make the apple filling
Use a fork or a whisk to mix together cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg with lemon juice and honey in a large mixing bowl.
Add apple slices into the large bowl and mix until apples are evenly coated with spice mixture.
Roll out the Dough
- Place your chilled pie dough in the center of a piece of parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with some arrowroot so the rolling pin doesn’t stick to the dough.
- Roll in every direction from the center. toensure even thickness throughout.
- Carefully transfer parchment to a rimmed baking sheet or a pie plate and place in the fridge until you’re ready to fill.
How to Assemble and Bake
Step 1: Sprinkle rolled out dough with arrowroot–this is important to assure your crust doesn’t get soggy. Then brush on a bit of the spice mixture.
Step 2: Fan out the apple mixture onto the galette crust, leaving a 1″ rim around the outside.
Step 3: Fold up the crust onto the apples. Pinch it onto itself, leaving the center open.
Step 4: Use a pastry brush to egg wash top of the dough with a whisked egg.
Step 5: If desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts and pomegranate seeds. You can also dust with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Step 6: Bake galette in 350 oven for 35 minutes until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack. Cut into slices and serve warm or at room temperature.
Apple Galette FAQs
A galette is similar to a pie, but it uses just one crust that is rustic and free formed. Much less fussy and easier to make than pie. The rustic dough can be filled with sweet or savory fillings, folded over and then baked.
It’s a white, flavorless starchy powder that is naturally gluten-free, vegan, grain-free and paleo-friendly. It is made from starches extracted from the arrowroot plant. Arrowroot powder is widely available in super markets and specialty stores.
Arrowroot powder is used primarily as a substitute for corn starch to thicken sauces, soups, gravies and other foods. It is extracted in simpler, more traditional methods than cornstarch, without the use of high heat or harsh chemicals. In addition to unhealthy processing methods, another reason to stay away from corn starch is because its’ often laden with pesticides and is genetically modified.
After rolling out the dough, sprinkle with some form of flour before filling to keep the galette from getting soggy. I use arrowroot powder. You can also sprinkle the dough with regular or gluten-free all purpose flour, cassava flour, coconut flour or tapioca starch.
Definitely use firm apples without mushy spots or blemishes. You do not need to peel the apples. You can use tart apples like pink lady or granny smith. Sweet apples like honeycrisp, gala, fuji or braeburn will also taste great in a galette. Personally, I like a combination of sweet and tart apples.
A galette is French and a crostata is Italian, but otherwise they are basically the same: they both use a free form pie crust that is filled with either a savory or sweet filling and then folded on the edges with the center open and crustless.
More Healthy Fall Recipes
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
Gluten-free Apple Galette
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large apples
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- Make dough: Place almond flour, arrowroot, olive oil, honey, egg and salt into bowl of food processor and process until a crumbly dough forms. Roll into a ball. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Make apple filling: Mix lemon juice, honey, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and nutmeg in a large bowl with a fork or a whisk. Slice apples in half down through the stem. Use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out the core, then place cut side down to make thin slices. Toss apples into the cinnamon mixture until evenly coated.
- Roll out dough: Take dough out of fridge and place on a piece of unbleached parchment paper. Sprinkle with a bit of arrowroot powder to prevent rolling pin from sticking. Roll in different directions to create a disc of an even ¼" thickness.
- Fill and fold: Spoon apple mixture onto prepared pie dough. Arrange in a circular pattern, leaving a 1" border. Fold edges of crust onto itself and the fruit. The middle will be open to the apple slices.
- Optional: Sprinkle with chopped nuts and/or pomegranate seeds.
- Egg wash: Whisk egg and use pastry brush to glaze the top of the crust that is exposed.
- Bake: in preheated 350 oven for 30-35 minutes until apples are soft and crust is golden brown.