This Kale Avocado Smoothie is satisfying and refreshing. A green smoothie with avocado and hemp seeds is great for weight loss and tops my list for smoothies for diabetics. You’ll love the creamy deliciousness from healthy fats and the tasty zing the lemon and ginger provide….a totally crave-worthy healthy smoothie!
This post has been updated from the original posted May 14, 2018.
This kale avocado smoothie is a great option if you don’t want to start your day with a sugary breakfast. I love the zing from the fresh ginger and lemon juice, the rich creamy texture the fresh avocado provides, with just a hint of sweet from the apple. This avocado smoothie recipe is loaded with healthy ingredients to boost your immune system, help fight chronic inflammation and improve overall gut health.
A creamy avocado smoothie is a delicious way to start the day. It’s the perfect breakfast smoothie or enjoy it as an afternoon pick me up. This healthy smoothie recipe is loaded with greens for energy, and a great source of healthy fats and dietary fiber to keep you satisfied. Add some green tea for a caffeine boost if that’s how you roll! Plus, the healthy fats naturally found in the avocado and hemp seeds provide essential fatty acids to help with the absorption of all the essential nutrients from the greens.
This lemon ginger detoxifying smoothie is just the type of green smoothie I enjoy…rich and creamy with a bit of zing. If your taste buds are used to a sweeter smoothie, you’ll definitely want to try my chocolate cherry smoothie, or the delicious Orange Julius Smoothie.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Leafy green vegetables: I chose kale and spinach. You can mix and match your favorite greens for a total of 2 cups. Other great choices include collard greens, lacinato kale, swiss chard, watercress, parsley, romaine or green leaf lettuce, purple kale, arugula or micro-greens.
- Avocado: Avocado smoothies contain fats, protein and fiber that help with satiety. Smoothies CAN BE a weight loss tool since you’re less likely to snack when you are full.
- Hemp seeds: Blended, these add to the creaminess factor…plus they contain high amounts of healthy fats, protein, and magnesium. Substitute with chia seeds or ground flax seeds.
- Ginger: The ingredient that adds zing in flavor and nutrition. Here’s a list of health benefits to consuming fresh ginger.
- Lemon: The vitamin C in citrus fruits helps your body absorb the iron found in leafy greens. Plus, lemons help prevent constipation, high blood pressure, indigestion as well as improve the skin, hair and teeth.
- Apple: Did you know that green, tart apples contain less sugar and carbs than red ones? Also, the high fiber content in apples slows down the digestive process and the absorption of the sugars. Apples are one of the lowest glycemic fruits you can choose, which means they don’t spark a rise in glucose levels in your body that will trigger an insulin response. Steady blood sugar levels equal steady energy levels.
- Optional: A splash of vanilla extract gives the elusion of sweet flavors, without actually adding any sweetener. Dairy-free milk (soy milk, unsweetened almond milk or oat milk would taste great) instead of water will produce an even thicker smoothie. Add a teaspoon of matcha or brewed green tea instead of the water for a caffeine boost.
Why you’ll love this Avocado Smoothie Recipe
- Post workout smoothie: This one is hydrating, refreshing and satisfying.
- Low sugar smoothie recipe: smoothies without banana are a great addition to healthy weight loss. This delicious smoothie is low on the glycemic index. It won’t spike your blood sugar the way some smoothies that are loaded with fresh fruit will.
- Smoothies for Diabetics: Create blood sugar balance by adding healthy fats, protein and fiber to the mix, like this green smoothie with avocado, hemp seeds and leafy greens.
- Delicious way to get more greens into your diet.
- Avocado goodness: Green smoothies can be a healthy breakfast option. Fat soluble vitamins in the greens needs good fats from the avocado to aid in absorption.
- Beautiful: The gorgeous green color is just an added bonus! Let the sun shine in!
How to make a green avocado smoothie
For a super smooth smoothie, use a high speed blender like a Vitamix. If you don’t have one, any blender will work, you just may need to run it for a bit longer to break up the fibrous kale.
Prep the produce for your smoothie:
- First, wash the kale and spinach. If you’re not using a high speed blender, remove the center hard rib from the kale.
- Roughly chop the apple and peel the lemon.
- Halve the avocado and scoop out the flesh.
- Use a grapefruit spoon to scrape off the peel from the fresh ginger.
Step 1: Place spinach, kale, apple, lemon, ginger, avocado and hemp seeds into the pitcher of your blender. It’s ok if the greens are wet.
Step 2: Add water and ice cubes. If you prefer to use any type of plant milk or coconut water instead of the water, still add the ice.
Step 3: Blend until smooth and creamy.
Step 4: Pour and Enjoy. This kale avocado smoothie recipe makes 2 large smoothies. If you would like to save half for later, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I like to use a mason jar so I can shake before drinking.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- Sip your smoothie from a reusable straw...super fun!
- Choose different greens each time you make this for greater gut microbiome diversity. Collard greens in smoothies? You bet!
- If you don’t have a ripe avocado, use frozen avocado chunks. About 1/2 cup cubed frozen avocado is the equivalent of half a fresh avocado.
- To wean away from sugary smoothies, add half a banana the first time for more of an avocado banana smoothie…next time you can eliminate it. Your taste buds will adjust.
- If you’d like to eliminate the apple, use a small zucchini instead.
How to store and serve your smoothie
- Serve: Drink cold or at room temperature. Pour into popsicle molds and enjoy as a frozen treat!
- Store: Store in a jar with tight fitting lid in the fridge. Drink within 48 hours for optimum nutritional value.
- Freeze: You can freeze your smoothie to enjoy at another time. Use an airtight container. Leave a couple inches extra space to allow for expansion when frozen. Thaw in the fridge. Shake well before drinking.
More Avocado Recipes
Healthy Smoothie FAQs
It depends on what ingredients you use. Choose vegetables and fruits that are low on the glycemic index to prevent blood sugar spikes. Ingredients like avocado, nuts and seeds are all good plant-based choices for healthy fats that will help with the absorption of fat soluble vitamins found in leafy greens. Avoid added sweeteners, fruit juices or super sweet fruits if you’re trying to lose weight.
Yes! Avocados are full of fiber and healthy fats. A ripe avocado will add a smooth, creamy, thick texture to your smoothie.
Green smoothies for weight loss include more greens than fruit. Green apples with their skin still on are great in green smoothies because they are low in carbs and contain plenty of fiber. Make sure your green smoothie contains protein and healthy fats for satiety and blood sugar regulation.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
Kale Avocado Smoothie
- 1 cup kale firmly packed
- 1 cup spinach firmly packed
- 1 small apple
- 1 lemon peeled
- 2 inch knob of fresh ginger
- 1/2 avocado small
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- You can make this in advance and store in the refrigerator in a glass jar with lid. Shake well before enjoying within 24 hours of making for best retention of nutrients.
This recipe would be perfect for Passover. Looking for more healthy recipes for Passover? Here you’ll find a collection of delicious and wholesome recipes that are perfect for this important Jewish holiday. From vegan main courses to sides, snacks, and desserts, we have something for everyone! Our recipes cater to various dietary restrictions, including gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan diets. Discover new and exciting ways to enjoy Kosher for Passover Recipes while maintaining a healthy and balanced diet.