A Chocolate Cherry Smoothie that tastes just like a chocolate shake, but really it’s a green smoothie in disguise! It’s easy to make this rich chocolate smoothie with cacao. Shhh….nobody has to know it’s a creamy vegan smoothie that’s loaded with greens and superfoods.
This post has been updated from the original posted July 20, 2019.
Calling all chocolate lovers…cuz this great recipe for a healthy chocolate cherry smoothie is going to blow your mind. You’ll get some healthy fats from almond butter and hemp seeds, decadent chocolate flavor from the raw cacao powder, natural sweetness from dates and banana and rich antioxidants from the leafy greens and juicy cherries.
If you have a sweet tooth, this Cherry Chocolate Smoothie recipe is just the thing to satisfy and nourish at the same time. This bad boy is refreshing and satisfying…in that chocolate craving kinda satisfying, if you know what I mean! You can enjoy this chocolate cherry smoothie for breakfast, lunch, snack, dessert…hey, have one on a hot night for dinner.
A delicious smoothie has no season…it’s always in fashion!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Whole foods, simple ingredients, make this a Healthy Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Leafy Greens: packed with vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and fiber. I used curly green kale. Other great options include lacinato kale, collard greens, chard, baby spinach, watercress or parsley.
- Almond Butter: Look for a brand that lists just one ingredient, almonds. Substitute with peanut butter, cashew butter or sun-butter. Nut butters are loaded with protein and healthy fats that will help you stay full longer.
- Hemp Seeds: these nutrient dense little seeds are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids (anti-inflammatory) and offer a natural protein boost. Substitute with chia seeds or ground flax seeds.
- Cherries: rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Plus they add Fiber, vitamin C, A and E with some potassium magnesium and calcium too. You can use fresh cherries. Fresh fruit that’s been flash frozen at the height of the season has all the same health benefits as frozen plus all the cherry flavor. I love the convenience of using frozen fruit year round.
- Cacao Powder: good mood food with all the dark chocolate flavor you’re looking for. Plus cacao powder contains flavonoids, magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper and selenium….and will create a delicious chocolate shake. Substitute with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Banana: natural sweetness plus smoothie thickener. Use frozen banana for creamy consistency without ice. If you’re looking to cut back on sugar, use half a zucchini instead.
- Non-dairy milk: Any kind of milk will bring on some extra creaminess….I like to use plant-based milk like unsweetened almond milk, oat milk or soy milk.
- Dates: Natural sweetener, high in fiber, good for the brain.
How to make it
Place almond milk, almond butter, cherries, banana, kale, hemp seeds and dates into the the pitcher of your blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. A high-speed blender like a vitamix makes this job easy.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- Before you head to the gym, make this smoothie and store in the fridge. Shake and enjoy to refuel in the most tasty way!
- Pour this healthy smoothie recipe into popsicle molds for a frozen creamsicle treat.
- Make freezer smoothie packs with cherries, bananas and greens already measured out, and stored in a freezer bag, for an easy healthy breakfast.
- To use this easy smoothie recipe to make a delicious smoothie bowl by using all frozen fruit, use less almond milk and some ice cubes.
How to Store your Smoothie
- For the best taste and nutrition, it’s best to drink your smoothie right away.
- Store any extra smoothie in an airtight container in the fridge or in an insulated lunch bag.
- I like to use wide mouth mason jars with lids. Shake creamy smoothies vigorously before drinking.
- Freeze in one cup ice cube trays and refresh in the blender before drinking.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana frozen into chunks
- 1 cup kale or other green
- 3 dates
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 2 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 Tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter**
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk**
- Place all ingredients into high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Store smoothie in air-tight glass jar for up to one day. Shake well before drinking.