A chocolate cherry smoothie that tastes just like a chocolate shake, but really it’s a green smoothie in disguise! It’s easy to make, easy to enjoy. Shhh….nobody has to know it’s loaded with greens and superfoods.
This post has been updated from the original posted July 20, 2019. This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Chocolate and Cherries blended together for the ultimate smoothie. No need for an excuse to enjoy this chocolate shake…er, um….green smoothie. Yeah, it’s easy to conflate the two….because it takes just like a decadent chocolate shake, but the nutrition is that of a green smoothie.
Call it what you will…but just know that this bad boy is refreshing and satisfying…in that chocolate craving kinda satisfying, if you know what I mean! You can enjoy this chocolate cherry smoothie for breakfast, lunch, snack, dessert…hey, have one on a hot night for dinner.
A delicious smoothie has no season…it’s always in fashion!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Greens: packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber. Use kale, collards, chard, spinach, watercress or parsley.
- Almond Butter: loaded with protein, healthy fat and fiber. Will help you stay full longer. Substitute with any nut or seed butter.
- Hemp Seeds: protein, omega 3s (anti-inflammatory), vitamins, minerals, fiber.
- Cherries: rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Plus they add Fiber, vitamins C, A and E with some potassium magnesium and calcium too. Substitute with frozen blueberries.
- Cacao Powder: good mood food. Plus cacao powder contains flavonoids, magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper and selenium.
- Banana: natural sweetness plus smoothie thickener. If you’re looking to cut back on sugar, use half a zucchini.
- Dates: Natural sweetener, high in fiber, good for the brain.
How to make a delicious smoothie:
Place almond milk, almond butter, frozen cherries, banana, kale, hemp seeds and dates into the the pitcher of your blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. A high speed blender like a vitamix makes this job easy.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- Make a double batch and store the extra in a jar in the fridge with a tight fitting lid.
- Before you head to the gym, make this smoothie and store in the fridge. Shake and enjoy to refuel in the most tasty way!
- Pour extra chocolate smoothie into popsicle molds for a frozen creamsicle treat.
When I’m not in the mood for a sweet shake, I make this lemon zinger smoothie. But, when chocolate is calling, this is the smoothie to satisfy my chocolate craving and let me get on with my day.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana frozen into chunks
- 1 cup kale or other green
- 3 dates
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 2 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 Tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter**
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk**
- Place all ingredients into high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Store smoothie in air-tight glass jar for up to one day. Shake well before drinking.