A vegan sour cream recipe that’s smooth and creamy, rich and tangy. Just 5 ingredients and 5-minutes and exactly what you’re looking for in a dairy free sour cream substitute.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
This delicious recipe for homemade sour cream is the best vegan version around. If you’re looking for dairy free sour cream to go on all those mexican dishes you adore, look no further.
A tangy vegan sour cream is easy to make with just 5-ingredients and will take you just 5-minutes…I kid you not!
Don’t be stingy…add it to ALL THE THINGS…use it to make salad dressing, and all the dips, and include it in your vegan baked goods…this sour cream alternative is an over achiever and can handle the heavy load.
Ingredients for Creamy Cashew Sour Cream
- Raw Cashews: I’ve tried many vegan versions of sour cream and this cashew based recipe is definitely the best. The cashews provide a rich base, a smooth consistency and I think it’s the perfect substitute for real sour cream.
- Lemon Juice: The citric acid in lemon juice helps the dairy-free sour cream behave chemically in baking recipes, similar to the dairy version.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Coupled with the lemon juice, the apple cider vinegar provides the sour flavor needed for this dairy version of sour cream to taste authentic.
- Garlic: Just one clove is the perfect compliment to the sour flavor.
- Sea Salt: The recipe calls for just a pinch, that’s all you need!
Why you’ll love this dairy-free sour cream recipe:
- Legit dairy-free alternative to sour cream that goes well in all your favorite recipes like enchiladas, baked potato, vegan chili, and black bean soup.
- Smooth and creamy texture, perfectly tangy taste…just what you’d expect from regular sour cream.
- 5-ingredients for the best quality and it tastes just like the real thing.
- 5-minutes for this simple vegan recipe.
- Pairs well with spicy meals.
- The perfect topping for baked sweet potatoes…spoon on the salsa and some roasted broccoli for a delish vegan meal. Throw on an extra dollop of sour cream…because you can!
How to make Vegan Sour Cream
Start with raw, unsalted cashews. If you have time to soak them overnight, great. Cover with cold water and let them sit on the counter. No big deal if you didn’t soak in advance. Cover the cashews with boiling water and let them sit for an hour.
The soaked cashews will swell and become soft. Softer cashews deliver the best results when it comes to creamy vegan dairy products.
Drain the cashews, rinse with fresh water and then add to the pitcher of a high powered blender. If you don’t have a high powered blender, use the overnight soak method and then use a regular blender or food processor to blend.
To the cashews, add the remaining ingredients (lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic and salt) and fresh room temperature water. Blend on high for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides and then blend again until thick and creamy.
Store vegan sour cream in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.
MEAL PREP AND STORAGE
- SERVE: Use this in all the same ways you’d use regular dairy sour cream.
- PREP AHEAD: Yes! This will stay good in the fridge for a week.
- STORE: Store in a clean, airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, freezer for 3 months.
- FREEZE: Vegan sour cream can be frozen for up to 3 months. Use 2 Tablespoon silicone ice cube trays or 1/2 cup trays or 1 cup molds to freeze and then pop into freezer safe zip top bags….so you can easily defrost just the amount you need. For best results, thaw in the fridge overnight.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- You will LOVE opening the fridge to a jar of this homemade vegan sour cream. Add this to your weekly meal prep routine…
- Go ahead, add some to your mashed potatoes for extra creaminess.
- Blend, blend, blend. If you need to add a little more water, go for it. The sour cream will thicken a bit in the fridge, so take that into account….and whisk in a bit more water if needed before using.
- Mix equal parts sour cream and enchilada sauce for a super sammie spread or taco sauce.
Dairy-free Sour Cream FAQs
Vegan sour cream can be made with tofu, seeds, nuts, or coconut cream. I prefer the cashew sour cream for it’s texture and taste. Homemade dairy-free sour cream is easy to make with simple ingredients.
Sauces, dressings, and dips can be made with vegan sour cream. You can also top potatoes, mexican recipes and casseroles with it. Use dairy-free sour cream in recipes that call for sour cream like coffee cake, pancakes, muffins or other baked goods.
Vegan Soups that would be great with a dollop of sour cream:
- Vegan Taco Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Simple Butternut Squash Soup
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- Cauliflower Leek Soup
- Parsnip and Kale Soup
- Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
- Hearty Lentil Soup
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic
- pinch sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- SOAK CASHEWS: Place 2 cups cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for a minimum of 1 hour, or up to overnight*.
- Drain, rinse and drain cashews again.
- Place soaked cashews, garlic clove, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and fresh water in high powered blender*.
- Blend until creamy. Scrape down sides. Blend again until smooth.
- Sour cream will thicken as it sets and thicken a bit more once refrigerated, so add more water if needed for desired consistency.
BLENDER: If you don't have a high powered blender, opt to soak the cashews overnight in hot water for the best creamy texture.
STORAGE: Store sour cream in airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or the freezer for 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
EatNeat 5-Piece Airtight Glass Kitchen Canisters with Glass Lids - Set of 5 Mason Jars for Food Storage, Organization, and Canning - Food Storage Containers that Hold 68, 51, 34, 27, and 17 Ounces
U-Taste Silicone Spatula Set with 600 Degrees Fahrenheit Heat Resistant (Teal/Aqua Sky)
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Vitamix A2300 Ascent Series Smart Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Low-Profile Container, Black
Serving Size2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving Calories 46Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 6mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 2g
The nutrition calculations were done using online tools. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients you used. You are ultimately responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information is accurate, complete and useful.