This Vegan Black Bean Soup is healthy, easy to make and super tasty. Made with simple ingredients, it’s a recipe the whole family will enjoy.
This post has been updated from the original posted August 31, 2019. This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
This delicious vegan black bean soup has the perfect texture and taste. Top it with a dollop of vegan sour cream, some sliced green onions, fresh cilantro and jalapenos and you’ve got yourself a Mexican black bean soup that’s sure to be a big hit.
You’ll love this vegan recipe for black bean soup. It uses basic ingredients, comes together quickly and this delicious recipe is great for meal prep too. It’s tastes even better the next day, as the great flavor has a chance to build.
Why you’ll love this vegan black bean soup
- NUTRIENT DENSE: Fiber plus plant based protein coming from real whole foods ingredients.
- DELICIOUS: These simple ingredients combine to make the best black bean soup ever.
- EASY: Chop. Saute. Stir. Puree. BAM….done.
- FUN: Load up on your favorite toppings, serve with tortillas chips and share this great recipe with friends.
- MEAL PREP SUPER STAR: Make it when it works well for you…and easily reheat when you want it
- BUDGET FRIENDLY: Affordable pantry staples make a big pot of soup.
- Black beans: Save time and use cans of beans. Save money and cook dry beans in your pressure cooker.
- Onion: A great flavor builder. Use yellow, white or red onions. Substitute with leeks, scallions or fennel.
- Celery: Sub with fennel, chopped celeriac, leeks or carrots.
- Garlic Cloves:
- Jalapeno: Leave out the membranes and seeds for a mild flavor, but if you’re looking for some spice, leave a few of the seeds in.
- Diced green chiles: They come in a small can or a jar, often called hatch chilis. You could also use diced fresh chili peppers like anaheim or poblanos. Even red bell peppers would work well.
- Spices: chili powder, cumin and sea salt give this simple black bean soup plenty of flavor.
- Cilantro: Love cilantro, but if you don’t use chopped parsley or oregano instead.
- Lime: a squeeze of lime brightens things up, but orange juice or lemon would also give some pizzas to this delicious soup.
- Vegetable Broth: So easy to make it yourself…but if you do decide to buy already made, make sure to read the labels. Look for a brand that has whole real food ingredients, no processed oil or high sodium content.
Homemade Vegan Soup Recipes
Many already made soups use “natural flavors” which, by the way, aren’t very natural. It often means MSG or other ingredients that are highly processed and generally loaded with chemicals. The best way to know what you’re getting is to make it yourself. The delicious flavor in this easy black bean soup comes from aromatics, spices, herbs, peppers. That’s it! Gently cooking the onions, garlic, jalapenos and spices enhances the flavors for a super tasty soup.
Health Benefits of Black Beans
- Loaded with protein and fiber and low in fat.
- Help keep blood sugar stable and help with satiety.
- Contain both soluble and insoluble fiber to help you stay regular, meaning less constipation and bloating.
- High levels of magnesium are crucial to bone health.
- Potassium helps regulate blood pressure levels.
- Folate helps turn carbohydrates into energy…..a natural source!
- Phosphorus is good for bone/teeth health as well as kidney and tissue repair.
How to make Vegan Black Bean Soup
Chop the onion, celery, garlic, and jalapeno before you begin.
Heat a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Swirl in a couple Tablespoons veggie broth and saute the onions, celery and jalapeno for about 5 minutes, until fragrant. You could use extra virgin olive oil to saute the veggies if desired. Stir in the garlic and spices. Use additional vegetable stock as needed, so the pan doesn’t become dry.
Next, stir in the chilis and black beans and then pour in remaining vegetable broth. Cook for 15 minutes and then partially puree, using an immersion blender.
Pureeing a portion of the soup will result in both a thick soup and a chunky soup….the best of both worlds! Ladle into bowls and then top with a dollop of sour cream, stir in some brown rice, squeeze on some fresh lime juice….whatever your favorite things are.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- Set up a toppings bar: vegan Sour Cream, chunks of avocado, hemp seeds, sliced scallions, fresh tomato salsa, chopped bell peppers, tortilla strips, sliced jalapenos, or fresh cilantro are great options.
- Make a double batch and freeze in individual servings. This easy vegan black bean soup reheats like a dream.
- Use canned beans to save time.
- Use a regular blender for a smooth and creamy pureed soup. An immersion blender is easier on the clean up and perfect if you want to leave some of the beans whole for a varied texture.
More Healthy Mexican Recipes
- Vegan Taco Soup
- Veggie Fajitas
- Mexican style cauliflower rice
- Vegan Mexican Street Corn
- Instant pot Mexican Beans
- Mexican Chopped Salad
- Vegan Enchilada Casserole
MEAL PREP AND STORAGE
- SERVE: Serve warm and sprinkle on your favorite toppings. Perfect for lunch: stays hot in a preheated (rinse with boiling water before filling) thermos. Or, serve for dinner with a simple salad.
- PREP AHEAD: Definitely! Make up to 5 days ahead.
- STORE: Soup will stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- FREEZE: Use freezer safe containers and store for up to 3 months. If using glass mason jars, make sure to leave a bit of extra room at the top for expansion.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
- 3 (15.5 oz) cans black beans
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 6 cups veggie broth
- Heat a large soup pot or dutch oven, over medium heat. Use a couple tablespoons veggie stock and saute onion, celery and jalapeno until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and spices and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds. If pan becomes dry, add 1-2 Tablespoons additional vegetable broth as needed.
- Add chilies, beans and remaining veggie stock. Stir well and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until liquid is slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to partially puree----leave about 1/2 the beans whole.
- Zest and juice the lime over the pot and stir well.
- Garnish with slices of lime, cilantro, sliced jalapeno or chunks of avocado. A swirl of vegan yogurt is also a great idea.
Soup will stay good in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days, or freeze for 3 months. Reheat gently on the stove until heated through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 636mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 10gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g