I love soup season…fall soups are warm and cozy, nourishing and satisfying…the ultimate comfort food on a chilly day. Hearty soup recipes are perfect for a one bowl easy dinner or a simple healthy lunch.
This post has been updated from the original posted September 25, 2021.
My favorite fall soup is vegan corn chowder. This dairy-free soup recipe is rich and creamy and with the fall sweet corn…tastes incredible!
I make a hearty vegan lentil soup that is hands down the family favorite as the weather cools. It has become a Sunday regular during Football Season and a big pot of soup is perfect for leaving simmering on the stove while everyone enjoys the game.
But by far, the recipe I make most often this time of year is Cauliflower Red Lentil Soup. It’s easy and nourishing, tasty and satisfying…and it always gets rave reviews!
Don’t forget to make some super yummy vegan dinner rolls to serve with your soup. They’re soft and fluffy, deliciously savory and taste incredible. Just what you’re looking for to dunk into your bowl of soup.
Why I love Fall Soup Season
- A comforting Bowl of Soup, with your favorite fall flavors, is like a warm hug in a bowl.
- Seasonal ingredients: Fall produce means root vegetables, in season this time of year like potatoes, onions, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, squash and garlic.
- Meal Prep Friendly: Make a big batch, serve some for a healthy dinner on a cool fall night, and freeze some for easy weeknight dinners.
- Budget friendly: A delicious soup is inexpensive to make with simple ingredients like hearty vegetables the whole family can enjoy.
Pro Tips for making The Best Soup
- Make homemade vegetable stock to use as a base for your favorite vegan soup recipes. It’s EASY and you can freeze it in one cup silicone ice cube trays to make it simple to defrost just the amount you need. Or, use wide mouth mason jars to freeze a quart at a time.
- Oh no! I’m already making the soup recipe and I just realized I don’t have any veggie stock! No problem…use my easy vegan bouillon powder. Quick and easy plus no chemicals.
- A dutch oven is great to make soup in…and also can go into the fridge to store it. I like the way it evenly conducts heat so you can simmer without food burning on the bottom.
- There are so many ways to thicken up a soup without using heavy cream or coconut milk. For a dairy-free creamy soup, you can use nuts, beans, tofu, tahini, miso or even veggies like cauliflower or parsnips to thicken the broth.
- Although you can puree soup using a traditional blender, if you’re going to be making creamy soups often, I highly recommend an immersion blender. You’ll also use it to make salad dressings and sauces….with far less mess and fuss than transferring everything to a blender or food processor.
How do you transport soup for lunch?
These are great recipes to take for lunch and a good quality insulated thermos will help keep your delicious healthy soup recipes hot until you’re ready to eat. For best results, pour boiling water into your thermos to preheat it while you separately heat the soup. Then, drain the thermos and pour in your hot soup…it will definitely stay hotter longer this way.
Let me know in the comments which soup you like best and why…I’d love to know!