You’ll love these easy vegan lasagna roll ups. Low carb zucchini noodles are filled with dairy-free ricotta, set onto a pool of marinara, and baked to perfection. Vegan zucchini rollatini is easy to make, incredibly delicious and super satisfying.
I can’t wait for you to try these vegan lasagna roll-ups. They are so delicious and give off a legit pasta with cheese vibe…even though they’re gluten-free and dairy-free. Hey, if you’re feeling really fancy, dust the tops with dairy-free parmesan cheese!
These zucchini rollatini are soft and pillowy, light and still satisfying. PLUS, they’re super healthy, and made from wholesome ingredients. Does it get any better?
Oh yes it does…cuz this recipe is also EASY PEASY. When was the last time that happened to you?
Vegan lasagna roll ups that use thinly sliced zucchini so they’re pliable enough to roll up and they further soften when baked for a perfect pasta texture. You won’t even miss the lasagna noodles, I promise.
You won’t miss the dairy either because this cauliflower almond ricotta has it all going on. Rich and delicious…totally YUM!
Zucchini rollatini is one of my favorite vegan zucchini recipes to use up all that marvelous zummer produce because it’s unique. You know, something a little different than zucchini bread or zucchini boats.
This recipe would be perfect for Passover. Looking for more healthy recipes for Passover? Here you’ll find a collection of delicious and wholesome recipes that are perfect for this important Jewish holiday. From vegan main courses to sides, snacks, and desserts, we have something for everyone! Our recipes cater to various dietary restrictions, including gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan diets. Discover new and exciting ways to enjoy Kosher for Passover Recipes while maintaining a healthy and balanced diet.
Ingredients for Lasagna Roll Ups
- ZUCCHINI: The star of the show! Not only can zucchini turn into amazing lasagna noodles, but it’s packed with nutrition too. Zucchini is low in carbs and calories, making it a great alternative to traditional pasta. It’s loaded with Vitamin C, plus zucchini contains folate, Vitamin K and A. Antioxidants in zucchini boost your immune system and help build collagen. Plus zucchini roll ups are satisfying comfort food…that happens to be healthy!
- RICOTTA: My dairy-free vegan ricotta recipe is easy to make with cauliflower and almonds. Or use your favorite store bought ricotta. Kite Hill Ricotta is a good choice if you’re looking to save time…but check out the homemade ricotta recipe because it quick and simple.
- MARINARA: Look for a brand in glass container with few ingredients. If I buy jarred sauce, I like Raos Marinara. Or, when tomatoes are in season, make a batch of my roasted tomato sauce…DEE-lish!
Why you will love Vegan Lasagna Roll Ups
- Kosher for Passover and can be served as a main course or a side dish.
- DELICIOUS: Rich and creamy and totally satisfying. A plant based meal everyone can rally around.
- LIGHT: The perfect light and low carb summer meal.
- MAKE AHEAD: The ultimate meal prep recipe because it reheats like a dream and you can even freeze it.
- FUN: Whoever told you that healthy food is boring never tasted these vegan zucchini roll ups.
- HEALTHY: Nutrient dense ingredients like zucchini that are full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, and cauliflower ricotta make every bite really count for something.
- EASY: Although these zucchini ricotta rolls taste decadent, they come together quickly. You’ll turn these simple ingredients into a gorgeous casserole in no time.
- HEALTHY COMFORT FOOD: Totally satisfies the need to nourish.
How to make zucchini lasagna roll ups:
First, gather the ingredients. If you haven’t yet made the vegan ricotta, do that before you begin to prep the zucchini.
Steam the cauliflower, then add it to the bowl of a food processor along with the slivered almonds, garlic, spices, lemon juice and olive oil. Pulse until well mixed and then scrape down the sides before processing again until smooth. More detailed instructions can be found on the homemade dairy-free ricotta recipe.
Now it’s time to prepare the zucchini. Cut off each end. Then, you’ll cut off a lengthwise sliver so the zucchini will sit flat. It will be easier to make the long strips if the zucchini holds still.
Pull a vegetable peeler across the length of the zucchini to get long thin ⅛″ thick strips. Continue until all three zucchini have been turned into lasagna noodles.
Spred ¾ cup of the marinara into the bottom of a baking dish 9 x 13
Lay zucchini strips onto a flat surface and then spread a heaping teaspoon of ricotta evenly across the surface.
Sprinkle with fresh herbs, if desired. I grow fresh oregano in a pot on my kitchen windowsill, so I often use that.
Roll each zucchini noodle and then place it onto the marinara in the baking pan. Continue until pan is full. You can leave them upright, or lay them down flat. The size of your pan or the amount of roll ups you have will help you determine which will fit best.
Spoon remaining ¾ cup marinara over the roll ups. Bake for 25 minutes until casserole is bubbling and zucchini has softened.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- SAVE TIME: There’s no shame in using jarred sauce (find a healthy one—I like Raos Marinara) or premade vegan ricotta. I like Kite Hill Almond Ricotta.
- Add some defrosted frozen spinach to the ricotta.
- Put in a layer of vegan ground beef for added protein, texture and taste!
- Use a bit less water when making the ricotta to absorb some of the moisture the zucchini will give off.
- If you have a mandolin, use it to cut ⅛″ strips of zucchini. Using your vegetable peeler works well if you don’t want to purchase another kitchen gadget.
- If you slice the zucchini a bit too thick, don’t worry. Sprinkle the slices with coarse sea salt. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then wipe the excess moisture off with a paper towel. This will also soften the zucchini noodles so they’ll be easy to roll.
- Work in an assembly line. Lay out as many zucchini strips as fit on your flat surface. Spread the ricotta on all. Roll and put into the pan. Much easier than one at a time.
- If you’re having guests, totally prep in advance and pop into the oven when they arrive so you can enjoy your company.
- Make this for a sick or grieving friend…or anyone you know who needs a hug. Drop it off ready to pop into the oven. They can then just heat it up.
MEAL PREP AND STORAGE
- SERVE: Serve warm with a simple green salad or caesar salad.
- MAKE AHEAD: Vegan Ricotta can be made up to 5 days in advance. Prepare zucchini roll ups, place in baking dish on marinara, top with additional sauce and then cover and refrigerate for 3 days before baking. OR, completely make, bake, cool and refrigerate until ready to serve. Reheat in 350 oven for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- STORE: Lasagna roll ups will stay good in the fridge for 5 days or freezer for 3 months. Put lasagna straight from fridge into preheated 350 oven for 25 minutes or straight from the freezer into preheated 350 oven for an hour..or until heated through.
- FREEZE: Make sure it’s completely cool before storing in airtight freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
More Healthy Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini Rollatini FAQs
Yes! Zucchini is low in carbs and calories, yet high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants making a nutrient dense option that is healthy and good for weight loss.
Zucchini has good amounts of Vitamin C. It also contains folate, Vitamin K and Vitamin A. A diet rich in zucchini will help boost your immune system and build collagen.
Zucchini is 95% water! A few tips will ensure your zucchini lasagna roll ups will come out perfectly.
When you keep the zucchini slices super thin they will contain less water.
OR, if you have cut your zucchini strips a little too thick, sprinkle them with sea salt and let that sit for 15 minutes to draw out the moisture. Wipe with a paper towel and then proceed with the recipe.
If you make vegan ricotta from scratch, keep it a bit thicker. Spread onto zucchini as directed. The ricotta will absorb any excess moisture.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
Vegan Lasagna Roll Ups
- 3 medium sized zucchini
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cups dairy-free ricotta
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Trim zucchini ends and cut a sliver off one lengthwise side so you can place it down flat on a cutting board. Use a vegetable peeler to "peel" zucchini lengthwise into long ⅛" thick strips.
- Spread ¾ cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread 1 heaping teaspoon dairy-free ricotta onto each zucchini ribbon, roll it up and place onto the marinara in the baking dish. Continue until baking dish is full.
- Pour remaining ¾ cup marinara sauce over the top of zucchini roll ups. Sprinkle with fresh herbs, if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes and enjoy while hot.