When pizza is calling….these delicious zucchini pizza bites will satisfy! A low-carb, delicious healthier alternative to traditional pizza. Tasty vegan zucchini appetizers are perfect for any occasion.
Zucchini rounds topped with marinara sauce or pesto and topped with veggies and fresh herbs, baked to perfection!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. This post has been updated from the original that was published on December 14, 2014.
If you love pizza, you’re going to adore these low carb, low calorie Vegan Zucchini Pizza Bites. These scrumptious little appetizers have the flavor burst of pizza…and satisfy like pizza…but they’re also the healthy vegan food you’re actually looking for. A winner in my book, for sure!
Appetizers are meant to be FUN…and these are just that. Plus they’re low on the glycemic index….meaning they won’t spike your blood sugar….and infinitely customizable too. And, they’re quick and easy to make with fresh ingredients.
Satisfy your pizza cravings with this delicious recipe! You can thank me later…leave a 5 star review in the comments!
How to buy and store Zucchini
- Look for small, firm zucchini at your local farmers market or at the grocery store. Zucchini should feel heavy for its size. Larger zucchini have more seeds, tend to be bitter and have tougher skin.
- Zucchini should be dark green, smooth and blemish free. If the skin is shriveled, it’s not fresh.
- Do not wash zucchini until ready to use.
- Store zucchini in your crisper drawer in a paper or plastic bag that is open to encourage air circulation.
- Zucchini will last 1-2 weeks, properly stored in the fridge.
- If left on the counter at room temp, expect the zucchini to last about 3 days before becoming soft and shriveled.
Ingredients for Mini Zucchini Pizzas
- ZUCCHINI: The perfect low carb “crust” for these appetizer pizzas. Zucchini is low in calories and carbs and high in nutrition. It is high in fiber, good for digestion, rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Yellow summer squash is a good substitution, just make sure they’re not too thick….those are full of seeds!
- MARINARA SAUCE: Use your favorite brand. Look for a short ingredient list with no added sugar or oil. If you don’t eat tomato products, just use pesto. Hummus, or thinned out romesco will also work as a spread.
- PESTO: It’s super easy to make your own vegan pesto that is delicious. Use this carrot top pesto recipe or this arugula spinach pesto recipe. If you’re not into pesto, just use marinara and your favorite toppings.
- VEGAN PARMESAN: This easy recipe uses hemp seeds, nutritional yeast and spices for a tasty vegan parmesan with just the right texture. I use my spice grinder and it literally takes less than 2 minutes to make. I’ve seen recipes that use cashews, but I prefer the nutritional profile of the hemp seeds, and you can also buy premade vegan parm.
- TOPPINGS: Use your favorite pizza toppings. Just remember these are bite sized, appetizer pizzas, so chop your toppings to fit. I used sliced olives, sliced mini peppers, roasted red peppers and fresh herbs (basil and oregano). I like to use what’s in season, so in the summer I’ll use fresh tomatoes, roasted eggplant or spring onions. Other great choices include caramelized onions or shallots, roasted garlic, crushed red pepper, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, arugula, capers, your favorite veggies.
How to make this zucchini appetizer recipe
5 minutes and three easy steps and you’ll have these pizza bites into the preheated oven. Promise!
First you’ll need to prep the zucchini. Wash and gently scrape off any dirt. Cut off the ends and then slice into 1/4″ discs. If your zucchini are particularly small, or if you want a bit of a larger zucchini bite, cut them on a diagonal, but stick to 1/4″ thick so they will cook all the way through.
MAKE THE VEGAN PARMESAN: Use a spice grinder, coffee grinder or small processor/blender to blend together hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, dried oregano, garlic powder and sea salt.
Next, spoon on your sauce of choice. Can’t decide between marinara and pesto? Make some of each!
Ok. Now is when the fun begins! Choose your toppings and load them up. Have fun with it and make sure to include some fresh herbs. Dust with vegan parmesan and they’re ready to pop into the preheated 450 degree oven.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness, until the zucchini is shriveled and tender.
Why you will love these
- A healthy way to satisfy your pizza cravings….yes, they’re scrumptious and so satisfying.
- They are adorable…seriously, we eat with our eyes first, so presentation matters.
- FUN, FUN, FUN….healthy food doesn’t have to be boring!
- So delicious…and super quick to make too.
- Perfect for any occasion. Great for an easy afternoon snack, a healthy appetizer or even a vegetable side dish.
- Loaded with nutrition…..but light in calories and carbs.
- Make ahead….yes, they’re totally meal prep friendly.
- Get the kids involved….they LOVE decorating the mini pizzas.
- EVERYONE can enjoy these zucchini pizza bites. They’re compliant for Whole30, Paleo, Vegan, Gluten and Grain-free, dairy-free….made with just a few simple, wholesome fresh ingredients.
Debra’s Pro Tips
- Make a double or triple batch of vegan parmesan. It won’t take any additional time and I promise you’ll find so many great things to sprinkle it on. Plus it stays good in the fridge for weeks!
- MAKE AHEAD…totally meal prep friendly. Bring to room temp and then reheat in the broiler for 3 minutes.
- REPURPOSE: Cut leftovers into 4s. Heat in marinara sauce with a pinch of crush red pepper….OMG so delish! Hubby likes this with pasta underneath for an insanely good pasta primavera. Throw in your leftover roasted veggies too.
- Cut your zucchini on the diagonal for a larger bite.
- Be generous with the parmesan sprinkle before baking….trust me on this one.
Yes…zucchini is low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. A great choice for nutrient density, gut diversity and weight loss.
Nope. Zucchini, sliced into 1/4″ rounds works really well as a base for a low carb pizza bite. It’s nutritious, delicious and easy to use.
Still have more zucchini? Try these tasty recipes
- Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Vegan Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Brownies
- Dairy-free Creamy Zucchini Soup
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Corn and Zucchini Fritters
- 2 large zucchini
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce*
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 Tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450. Line rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- MAKE THE VEGAN PARMESAN: Put hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, oregano, garlic powder and sea salt into spice grinder. Pulse until well combined. You could also use a small food processor or blender.
- Slice zucchini into 1/4" thick rounds and arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Top zucchini slices with sauce of choice and your favorite pizza toppings. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until zucchini tender.
SAUCE: You'll need about 1/2 cup total sauce for 2 large zucchini. I used a combination of Marinara and Pesto.
TOPPINGS: I used sliced olive, chopped roasted red peppers, thinly sliced mini yellow peppers and fresh herbs. Other good choices include halved grape tomatoes, caramelized onions, sliced jalapenos, or other veggies you prefer.
VEGAN PARMESAN: recipe will make about 1/4 cup vegan parmesan. I usually make 2-3 times the recipe to have extra. It will keep good in the fridge for up to a month.
Amount Per Serving Calories 132Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 4mgSodium 287mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 5g
The nutrition calculations were done using online tools. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients you used. You are ultimately responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information is accurate, complete and useful.