These scrumptious little zucchini bites have the flavor burst of pizza!
When I prep for a cooking workshop, I’m initially focused on teaching concepts rather than actual recipes. Although it’s energizing to stumble upon a broad idea that would be good to share with others, the fun doesn’t really begin until I get into the recipe development. ‘Tis the season for parties. So, with that in mind, I set out to find some “Fun Finger Foods” that were both nutritious and delicious. I like to deconstruct favorites and reincarnate them as a healthier version of themselves.
The concept was simple: replace crackers, chips, toasted bread or otherwise nutrient deficient bases with something that added a nutritional boost, would hold up strong for toppings, and yet bring something to the table in the taste department. What a great time I had with various vegetables and potatoes until I came up with a few winners to use in my workshop.
These scrumptious little zucchini bites have the flavor burst of pizza, yet an impressive nutritional make up so they’re all flavor with no guilt. Eliminating the dairy and gluten is the obvious route to go with pizza when trying to make it a healthy option. Replacing them with high energy complex carbs, a good dose of protein, and healthy fats is a game changer. Now these little pizzas aren’t just “not bad” for you, but they’re actually good for you!
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Kale & Cashew Pesto
- ½ box grape tomatoes, quartered
- Slice zucchini into ¼” rounds.
- Barely brush a coat of olive oil on both sides, season with salt and pepper.
- Saute seasoned zucchini in nonstick skillet on medium-high heat on each side for 2 minutes, just until it starts to brown. Be careful not to overcook as it will soften and not be ideal for finger food.
- Transfer zucchini rounds to lined baking sheet.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Spread ½ teaspoon pesto on each round and top with 1 piece tomato.
- Broil for 3 minutes, until tomato begins to crinkle and brown.
These can be made in advance until step 6. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temp before broiling.
Can be served hot or at room temp.
Amount Per Serving Calories 41Total Fat 1gCarbohydrates 8gProtein 3g