I can’t be the only one who brings their own snacks to the movies, right? I like to munch and crunch during the movie as much as anyone…..I just don’t like to compromise on my health goals at the same time. It’s not that weird of a thing, is it? I mean, how else do you get a snack that’s exactly what you’re craving? You make it yourself!! Enter the popcorn bliss ball. It’s exactly the type of snack I would buy at the concession stand, if only they were available.
Movie Theater Popcorn is ridiculously unhealthy. It’s loaded with calories, sodium, hydrogenated oil that’s been colored and flavored to resemble butter—things you really don’t want to be ingesting. But, that doesn’t mean that popcorn itself needs to be avoided. Air popped popcorn is a healthy whole grain food that is low in calories, high in fiber, and provides magnesium and iron too. It can help regulate blood sugar, lower cholesterol and improve digestion. Popcorn is loaded with antioxidants which help prevent free radicals that cause all kinds of damage internally. As long as you don’t load it up with unhealthy additives, popcorn can be a healthy snack.
When my kids were young, we always brought our air popped popcorn in a zip top bag with us. Let me tell you, they weren’t impressed….though that doesn’t mean they didn’t devour it! Over the years, I’ve upgraded the snacks I bring to the movies. I sometimes bring these trail mix bars or these halva bliss balls or even these cookies. But I come back to popcorn often as my choice snack….popcorn just seems to go hand in hand with movies.
Over the weekend, we had plans to go to the movies with friends (The Golden Globes are much more fun to watch if you’ve seen some of the movies they’re talking about)….and I wanted to bring snacks that were healthy, fun, tasty, and popcorn-y. Something impressive, so it wouldn’t look weird that I was bringing my own movie snacks…..and something they would really enjoy so they wouldn’t focus on the HEALTHY aspect of this treat—-though they do know me, so they would just know. That’s OK though, because they LOVED them—and appreciated how healthy they were!!
These popcorn bliss balls are just what they sound like. A hybrid between a bliss ball and a bag of popcorn. Lots of tasty popcorn in the mixture and then a bit more to coat the outside. They taste a little sweet (naturally sweetened with dates), a little salty and (even though they’re dairy-free) even a bit buttery. With the addition of almond butter and flax seeds, they even have some healthy fats and protein. Add that profile to the fiber of the popcorn and you don’t get a sugar high and then a sugar crash…….amazing for a snack food that is so tasty!!
You need these popcorn bliss balls in your life right now because:
- It’s awards season—-which means you’ll be heading to the theater to try to see a bunch of stuff so you can comment on whether or not you agree with who won. If you’ve already jumped on the “bring your own snacks” bandwagon, I encourage you to take it one step further and bring your own mug of tea too…..goes really well with these popcorn bliss balls.
- Your kids have friends over ALL. THE. TIME…..and they need snacks. ALL. THE. TIME. (if you need to avoid tree nuts, use sunflower butter in place of almond butter and swap the almond milk for soy or rice milk).
- It’s winter—-which means you’ll be staying in to binge watch _________(fill in the blank here), rather than venture out into the cold.
- OH….and I almost forgot….It’s still football season so you’ll be hanging out—-maybe even inviting friends over—-for the game.
And my personal favorite:
- Your hubby is constantly looking for snacks and as long as you’re prepared with healthy snacks, like these popcorn bliss balls, he’ll look no further.