The best oven roasted broccoli recipe. It’s crispy, tangy, salty, spicy…yeah, it’s got all that going on. Easy sheet pan healthy side dish that’s vegan, gluten-free and super tasty!
What’s your “go to” veggie to make when you need something to round out your meal? You know, the one that everyone will eat? It’s definitely broccoli in this house.
Rarely does a tray of roasted broccoli make it to the table though..everyone’s got their hands in the pan. That is especially true with this oven roasted broccoli that is loaded with lemon, garlic and spice.
Do you love broccoli? Meet your new favorite way to enjoy it. Simple spices—the kinds you always have in your pantry—play supporting roles, letting broccoli shine like the super star it is.
My old standby when I was in the mood for broccoli was always Broccoli Salad with Miso Dressing. No worries, there’s really no competition. They each have their strengths. I’m sure you’ll have occasions to show each a bit of love.
How to trim broccoli
Are you team florets or team broccoli stalks? What if you didn’t have to choose? As long as you peel off the outer, woody, part of the stalk, the rest is DELISH. Yeah, you heard that right! The stalks can be just as tender and tasty as the crowns.
So, start by peeling off the woody outer layer with a paring knife. See photo on the left for a good example. Next, cut the remaining part of the stalk into 1/4″ slices. Then, you can cut or break apart the florets. Bam….ready to move on.
Simple Spices: Delicious results
Simple pantry ingredients make a tasty marinade.
- Avocado Oil: roasting at 450 requires an oil that can stand the heat. Olive oil has a lower smoking point, so your broccoli may burn. Coconut oil would also be a good choice.
- Lemon: I love the tang. Use the zest and the juice for maximum flavor. Buy organic when you can. Be sure to thoroughly clean the outside of the lemon before zesting.
- Garlic: YUM! It’s big on flavor, so load me up! Plus, it’s anti-inflammatory, loaded with antioxidants, boosts the immune system, reduces blood pressure, helps lower cholesterol….need I say more?
- Sea Salt: opt for sea salt rather than table salt to add in some extra micro-nutrients. If you’re on a low salt diet, simply omit. There is plenty of other flavor going on here.
- Crushed Red Pepper: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. You know I like my spice. This is the perfect amount to add a little zing without over powering the broccoli. Pass some extra on the side for spice lovers.
- Onion Powder: another flavor boost, plus it has valuable antioxidants that fight inflammation.
- Dried parsley: a boost of flavor and vitamins A, K, C.
- Dried Dill: subtle, but adds to the overall flavor profile.
Oven Roasted Broccoli: Is it healthy?
- BROCCOLI: Anti-inflammatory, loaded with fiber (helps you eat less while feeling fuller, and keep your bowels regular), antioxidants, and Vitamin C.
- ALMONDS: Contain lots of healthy fats, fiber, protein, magnesium and vitamin E.
- NUTRITIONAL YEAST: gives vegan food a cheesy flavor and adds crucial B vitamins typically only found in animal products.
How to Oven Roast Broccoli
- Make sure marinated broccoli fits on baking tray in one layer. If not, use a second rimmed tray. It is not necessary to line tray with unbleached parchment paper, but it will make clean up a breeze.
- Roast for 10 minutes. Toss and then add in the almonds for final roast.
- Roast for additional 5-10 minutes, until desired crispness. Then sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and serve.
Roasted Broccoli with Lemon. Now What?
Honestly, this broccoli is so good, you will want to eat it straight from the pan. If you’re able, fill a bowl and serve it as a side dish. It will definitely compliment whatever you’re serving. Now, if you’re really smart, you’ll make a double batch, to have some left over.
Leftovers can be put to good use! Lay down a large leaf of romaine, spread on a layer of hummus, load in the broccoli, add some sprouts and roll. One of my favorite lunches!
This broccoli is also a good addition to any salad. Use my everyday dressing, a generous scoop of greens, chop some crunchy veggies and pile on the broccoli for a delicious salad.
Broccoli for breakfast? You bet! This is the perfect side for tofu scramble.
Will you sprinkle a bit of extra crushed pepper like me? Maybe a bit more nutritional yeast to suit your taste? Take this recipe and OWN IT!
What will you serve with your oven roasted broccoli? Tell me in the comments!
Oven Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- 2 ½ lbs. broccoli *
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil*
- ½ large lemon zested and juiced*
- 6 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder NOT onion salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup raw sliced almonds
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 450. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- PREPARE BROCCOLI: Wash broccoli. Trim the woody outer layer of the stem with a paring knife. Discard. Cut the stalks into 1/4" rounds and then slice, or pick apart, the florets. The stalk "rounds" will cook up nicely and be just as tasty as the florets. Alternately, save the stalks to make into "rice" for another recipe. Place the trimmed broccoli into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon zest and juice, salt, onion powder, parsley, dill and crushed pepper. Pour dressing over broccoli and mix well. Take a minute to be sure all broccoli is evenly coated with oil mixture.
- Spread broccoli onto prepared pan in one layer. If your pan isn’t large enough to hold broccoli in single layer, prepare another pan and divide amongst the two pans.
- Roast for 10 minutes. Sprinkle almonds onto broccoli and toss well. Put the broccoli back iIn the oven to roast for another 5-10 minutes, until crisp, but not burnt.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with nutritional yeast, mix well and serve warm.