Dairy-Free Creamy Mushroom Soup. Rich flavor made with vegan wholesome gluten-free ingredients.
I have had a wonderful Passover so far. The weekend was loaded with family and friends, and plenty of good food. What more could you ask for? A little less rain? Well, the lawn and the flowers are happy, so there’s that! Plus, the damp weather got me into the kitchen dreaming up new soup recipes. Yup, a lot to be thankful for. When you taste this vegan creamy mushroom soup you’ll know what I’m talking about.
I love mushrooms, but I don’t often use them in recipes since hubby doesn’t like them. Surprising, since he LOVES my mock chopped liver which is essentially all portabellas. It’s been the only mushroom recipe I’ve ever gotten him to try and he actually asks me to make it all the time. (Scratches head, but doesn’t complain)!
I was in LA a couple weeks ago and had a super tasty vegan creamy mushroom soup in a restaurant. It was so good I have been craving it ever since. I’m also craving warm weather, but I can only control one of those situations….so into the kitchen to develop a recipe for creamy (dreamy) mushroom soup I went. I like how simple and wholesome ingredients can come together to create something so rich and decadent
The elephant in the room
Please, don’t be intimidated by the cashew cream in this recipe. There’s very little hands on time, and you don’t need any special equipment. Cashews are naturally softer than most other nuts so they get totally ground up in this process. No straining, no nut milk bags, no mess. Some added protein and healthy fats, for minimal effort.
Mushrooms are nutrient dense providing the following benefits:
- Low in calories, carbs and fat.
- Good source of protein
- High in fiber—increased satiety and reduced appetite
- Great for weight loss
- Loaded with B vitamins, Vitamin D, antioxidants
- Gut friendly: prebiotic
- Rich source of calcium and iron
- Boost the immune system
I love the umami taste that mushrooms provide. It’s savory, satisfying and somewhat “meaty” for a vegetable. Mushrooms make a great addition to a vegan meal, both for their taste and their nutritional profile.
This vegan creamy mushroom soup has been the perfect antidote to the cool and damp weather we have had this week. Loaded with flavor and nutrition. The ingredients combine to check off all the boxes I’m looking for in a meal: protein, healthy fats and fiber. I served it for dinner with a simple green salad. It’s a wonderful meal any time of year and a welcome treat during Passover.
- ¾ cup raw cashews soaked for minimum 2 hours.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 ½ lbs. cremini mushrooms*, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium veggie broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4-5 springs fresh thyme
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Optional: ¼ cup flat parsley, chopped for garnish
- Soak cashews for minimum 2 hours. Drain, rinse and add to food processor or high-speed blender along with 1 cup water and 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a heavy stock pot, saute the onion in olive oil over medium heat until onions begin to soften. Stir in mushrooms, carrots, celery, salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium/low and cook as vegetables release juices. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes---until extra liquid has been absorbed. Stir in paprika until everything is well coated.
- Add in white wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits that stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in broth and fresh herbs. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook until liquid has reduced by half and veggies are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the soured cashew cream and mix well. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, as soup thickens.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley.
* Any mushrooms will work well. I prefer cremini, portobello or white button mushrooms.
Serving Size1 bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 180Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 1mgSodium 227mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 7g