This no yeast flatbread recipe makes pizza night quick and delicious! Just add your favorite toppings to the flatbread crust and enjoy. Homemade pizza dough is so much easier to make than you think and this crispy flatbread is a fun appetizer or plant based dinner.
The search for the perfect pizza is over…this flatbread recipe is ideal for anyone who loves a thin and crispy crust…like me!! I find that traditional pizza dough is…well, doughy.
A no yeast flatbread recipe means there’s no rise time so your custom pizza is ready in minutes, not hours! Great news for pizza lovers, especially the impatient kind…again, like me!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- WHOLE GRAIN FLOUR: I used whole wheat flour in these photos. You can definitely use gluten-free all purpose flour in this recipe with great results.
- OLIVE OIL: You’ll need 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to make the dough. I like to brush another Tablespoon onto the rolled out and partially baked dough for crispy pizzas. You can substitute with avocado oil.
- FINE GRAIN SALT: The fine grains of salt dissolve better. It’s OK to use sea salt if it’s fine ground, but kosher salt or any coarse grind salt will not dissolve as well.
- CORN MEAL: Just a dusting to sprinkle onto the baking pan or pizza stone. Or you could use unbleached parchment paper and skip it. I think coarse grind cornmeal works best.
Don’t forget, this no yeast flatbread recipe doesn’t rise, so it’s the perfect crispy and sturdy crust for all your favorite toppings!
- Summer Flatbread: Spread vegan basil pesto onto crispy flatbread. Add fresh basil, tomatoes, corn and red onions. Drizzle with sweet chili sauce or balsamic glaze. Broil for 2 minutes.
- Regular Flatbread Pizza: Spread cooked flatbread with pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, fresh herbs and dollops of vegan ricotta, place back into 450 degree oven until ricotta is heated through, 5-10 minutes.
- Roasted Squash + Hummus Flatbread: Find the full recipe with detailed instructions for roasted delicata squash, garlic and onions in this vegan flatbread pizza recipe.
- Individual Pizzas: Cut the dough into 4 pieces, and roll them out. Let everyone make their own flatbreads and use their favorite pizza toppings.
- Mediterranean Flatbread: Thin out hummus with lemon juice and spread on cooked flatbread crust. Top with olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted red peppers.
- Let me know in the comments what YOUR perfect pizza looks like!
How to make flatbread pizza dough crust
First mix together the flour and salt. Use king arthur measure for measure gluten-free flour if needed or choose a whole grain flour that works well for you. Then add the wet ingredients (warm water and oil) to the dry ingredients and mix until dough easily pulls away from the sides of bowl.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface so it’s easy to knead into a ball without sticking to the work surface.
Cut the dough in half, or into quarters if you’re making small individual pizzas. Dough can be made in advance to this point, a wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in the fridge for up to 2 days, if needed.
Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into ⅛″ thickness…any shape you like from round or oval to rectangular or square. If you’re using a pizza stone, stick to the shape of the stone. If you’re going to bake the dough on a baking tray, make sure you roll the dough to a size that will fit on the baking sheet.
Sprinkle your baking sheet or pizza stone with coarse cornmeal. Transfer the rolled out dough onto the prepared baking sheet. A pizza peel is an easy way to transfer the dough, alternately roll the dough out on a piece of parchment paper to transfer to the pan.
Prick the dough all over with a fork. This will help reduce the air bubbles and keep your crust flat as it cooks. Cook in preheated 450 oven for 7 minutes. Brush with olive oil and cook for an additional 7 minutes, until golden brown.
Now your flatbread pizza crust is ready. Load up with your favorite toppings and if needed, place back in the oven for 5 minutes to heat through. I like to spread tomato sauce, pesto or hummus onto the baked flatbread crust first so the rest of the toppings have something to stick to.
Use a pizza peel to transfer finished flatbread to a cutting board and use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut into slices. Serve warm and enjoy.
MEAL PREP AND STORAGE
- SERVE: Serve with your favorite toppings, as an appetizer or main course with side salad.
- PREP AHEAD: Make dough, roll into balls and tightly cover with plastic wrap until ready to use. Uncooked dough will last in fridge for 3 days or freezer for 1 month. Cooked flatbread that isn’t topped can be wrapped well and stored in the fridge for 5 days, freezer for 3 months. Re-crisp cooked flatbread in 450 preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- STORE: Store leftover flatbread in airtight container in the fridge for 5 days. Reheat in preheated oven at 450 until heated through.
- FREEZE: Uncooked dough can be frozen for 1 month. Cooked flatbread can be frozen for 3 months. Defrost in the fridge. Bring dough to room temperature before rolling out.
Debra’s Pro Tips:
- While your flatbread pizza crust is in the oven, gather your toppings of choice.
- A crispy vegan flatbread crust topped with tuscan kale chopped salad is legit an amazing and healthy dinner.
- Roll your no yeast pizza dough into a long, thin rectangle so it fits easily onto a half sheet pan. Then, serve it on a wooden cutting board.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork before cooking to avoid air bubbles.
- Make dough ahead for a super quick and easy pizza night.
The crust of flatbread pizza is thinner than traditional pizza. When flatbread pizza dough is made with simple ingredients, like whole grain flour, olive oil and a small amount of salt, it’s generally lower in carbs and processed ingredients than regular pizza.
However, the real determinant of which is healthier lies in the topping choices. Vegan flatbread pizza topped with veggies, and greens is going to be a healthier choice than pizza topped with cheese and pepperoni.
Salad is a natural side to serve with flatbread, or on top of it. Dairy-free Tomato Soup served chilled or warm is a fantastic pairing. Breakfast flatbread can be made with scrambled eggs, or beans and veggies. Mexican flatbread uses taco seasoning with beans and guacamole. Roasted or raw vegetables will add to the nutrient density of flatbread pizza.
Flatbread pizza dough generally doesn’t have any leavening agent in the ingredients. Traditional pizza dough is most often made with yeast and sometimes baking soda. It is a thicker, doughier crust.
More 30-minute or less Recipes
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please consider a five star rating below and leave a comment. Also, please share your photos on instagram by tagging me @dkhealthcoach and using the hashtag #debraklein
No Yeast Flatbread Recipe
- 3 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon fine grain salt
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup olive oil divided
- 1 Tablespoon cornmeal for dusting pan
- Preheat oven to 450 convection bake or 475 in a regular oven.
- Pulse flour and salt in a food processor to combine.
- Add water and oil to flour mixture and process until dough easily pulls away from sides.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand until a smooth ball of dough has formed.
- Cut the dough ball into two equal pieces. Roll each into a ball. Make sure your work surface and rolling pin are dusted with flour. Use the rolling pin to roll one dough ball into a THIN circle, oval or square…your choice. ⅛" thickness all around is the goal. If your flatbread dough is rolled too thick, it will burn on the top before it's cooked through in the center.
- Lightly dust rimmed baking sheet or pizza stone with coarse cornmeal.
- Place rolled out dough onto prepared pan and prick with a fork all over. Baked in preheated oven for 7 minutes. Brush top with olive oil and return to oven for additional 7 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
- While flatbread is baking, collect you favorite topping ingredients. See below for flatbread topping ideas.
- Not all toppings need to be cooked, but if yours do, return to oven until everything is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into portions and serve this delicious flatbread pizza warm.
- Leftover flatbread can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and reheated in a 425 oven for 5 minutes, until heated through.