Refreshing & Nutrient Dense—Perfect for Hot Summer Days
Now that the heat has finally arrived, it really feels like summer here in the Northeast and sometimes it’s hard to pack in nutrition when all you really care about is cooling off and hydrating. This watermelon gazpacho is perfect for hot summer days as it is refreshing and nutrient dense, not to mention delicious! I love the pairing of the sweet watermelon and the spicy jalapeno, and the combination of smooth juice with the chunky vegetables.
Have fun with this! Serve it as a first course for brunch, maybe tainted with a blast of champagne! It’s a smart appetizer on a warm summer night before the barbeque, or a refreshing drink when you get back from the gym. This will stay good in your fridge for 5 days if its sealed tightly in a jar, so make a bit more than you need to have on hand!
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- 4 cups diced watermelon
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 jalapenos
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 limes
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Have a large glass bowl on hand and add ingredients, as they are ready.
- Place watermelon chunks and 1 tomato in blender and puree.
- Wash the cucumber, scoop the seeds out and then cut to small dice.
- Seed the tomato and red pepper. Cut to small dice.
- Thinly slice green and white parts of scallions.
- Remove the seeds and membranes from the jalapeno and mince.
- Thinly slice herbs or cut with scissors.
- Zest and juice limes over bowl then gently mix.
- Season with salt. Taste to see if additional lime or jalapeno are needed
- Serve cold.
- Will stay good in tightly sealed jar in fridge for 5 days.